Figueiró dos Vinhos


Sintra from the North...

Although the origin of Figueiró dos Vinhos comes from the period before the nationality, it is in 1204 that D. Pedro Afonso, rightful son of the first king (D. Afonso Henriques), attributes its first foral. Figueiró dos Vinhos would receive a new foral from D. Manuel I, in 1514.

Part of the Beira’s region, its natural beauties, fresh air and luminosity were always famous. The so called “Sintra do Norte” and nominated as touristic spot in the thirties, has been promoting through time its natural and environmental beauties.

Its gardens represent today a patrimony that its people are proud of - known internationally, in 1998, with the Silver Medal in the “European Contest of Flowery Cities and Villages”. Usually, once a year, by the time of São João’s Feasts, patron saint of the municipality, it takes place the contest “Flowery Figueiró”, where the balconies, windows and gardens of the town are awarded.

The numerous Feasts and Pilgrimages, of which we draw out the S. Pantaleão’s Yearly Fair, intend to maintain the ancient people’s traditions, such as confectionary which is an important element. Pão-de-Ló (Sponge Cake) and Castanhas Doces are nowadays a constant reference for those who visit this region.
Foz de Alge, where Ribeira de Alge’s waters meet with Zêzere River, is a paradisiacal place and a fundamental touristic spot in this area.

Facts about Figueiró dos Vinhos




171,95 km²


7 352 inhab. ( 2001)

Population Density (inhab./km 2)


Surface (km 2)


Civil Parishes

5 [Aguda, Arega, Campelo, Figueiró dos Vinhos and Bairradas]




Pinhal Interior Norte



Old Province

Beira Litoral

Geographic Situation

North: Lousã
South: Ferreira do Zêzere
East: Pedrógão Grande
Southeast: Sertã
West: Ansião, Penela e Alvaiázere
Northwest: Miranda do Corvo

Main Water Resources

Ribeira de Alge and River Zêzere

Coat of Arms and Flag
Click to enlarge pictures


Click to enlarge picture

Famous Persons
Click to enlarge pictures

Dom Diogo de Sousa (1461-1532) Bishop of Porto and, later, Archbishop of Braga. He was Ambassador of El-Rei Dom Manuel in Rome.

Simões de Almeida, Uncle (1844-1926) Portuguese Neoclassical Sculptor. Among his works, the most important are “Puberdade”, “A Estátua do Duque da Terceira”, “O Génio da Vitória”- monument to Restauradores and Luís de Camões (this work is kept in Clube Figueiroense/Casa Municipal da Cultura).

José Malhoa (1855-1933) Painter known both nationally and internationally. Established in Figueiró dos Vinhos at the end of the 19th century, where he developed most of his works. His atelier was built in this town, and he named it “Casulo” (Cocoon). The Altarpiece of the Mother Church’s Altar was made by him, representing Jesus Christ Baptism.

Simões de Almeida, Nephew (1880-1950) Sculptor. The official bust of the Portuguese Republic was one of his works, and he has won important awards regarding his large artistic work.